500 Days of Summer. Or how I am able to connect my life with every movie I see.

11 November 2009

So I'm sure by now you've already read a gazillion reviews of this movie, forwarded quotable quotes to your friends either thru SMS or Facebook walls, reblogged more than a dozen Tumblr posts (of quotes and photos), downloaded wallpapers and songs from the OST (or even the movie itself, thanks to torrent) and even the script (I got mine, thanks to Peppermint Kiss. Buzz me if you want me to email you a copy-Ü), bought skirts, dresses and ribbons (or you're prolly waiting for payday to come so you can do so, like me LOL), imagined yourself with a fringe, and (if you're me) watched it again. My friends, if you don't know what I am talking about, then I would suggest (just for your general wellbeing) that you go to the nearest cinema and watch this:

500 Days of Summer

I was not really supposed to write about it anymore since too much of a good thing is not uh, good, but since I said here that I will, now I am :D

I will spare you a summary or plot synopsis because that is what sites like imdb and Wikipedia are for. If you haven't seen it yet I am sorry but methinks this post will be chockfull of spoilers (and information you won't find helpful if you don't have any idea what I am talking about) so if you're cool with that then please continue reading but if you're not, then please see my advice above (hint: it's in Bold typeface). ;)


From the moment the narrator said, "This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story." I was transfixed. What followed is about 93 minutes of a helluva good movie that hit closer to home than I would have anticipated.

Watching it is magical, at least for me. It was like seeing my story in the big screen, I was floored. You see, (now this is where it gets a little more personal. I am opening my heart so please be kind to me.) I am in Tom and Summer's situation. Yes, am, as in the present. And as much as I would have loved to wear her dresses, I am not playing Summer's role here. Yes, I am playing Tom's role, and have been for the last, what, 9 months (I didn't realize it is already that long!).


I have this special friend who I was in a "relationship" with for quite a while. I put quotation marks because he asked me to be his girlfriend and all but it was like a steady date only, no formal meet the parents stuff. Then, he did something really bad, and I did not talk to him for five months. Which is bad because we work in the same office (in the same team, even!). Then, our friends/ teammates intervened, so we reconciled last February. The thing is, the "relationship" sorta creeped in again.  We do everything together! We eat together at work, text all day every day, watch movies together, get in fights, and basically everything that real couples do. Let it be said that uhm, before we got together the first time I actually broke up with my boyfriend of three years and a half for him. And now, I think I am ready for a serious relationship. The problem is, when I asked him about it he said it is something he is not yet ready for, but if he is to be in one then I would be the girl. I said okay, but at the back of my mind I was reminded of a Cosmo article I read, that "it's not because it's not the right time, it's because you are not the right girl." Ugh. On the other hand, (this is really cheesy but hell I am still going to say it) he makes me feel different, alive, better. My bestfriend Jerome constantly nags me about my affection for this beloved but what can I do? I am inflicted by love, sweet sweet love!

But here,

Summer: I like being on my own. I think relationships are messy and people’s feelings get hurt. Who needs it? We’re young, we live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world; might as well have fun while we can and, save the serious stuff for later.

I mean, she kinda has a point, right?

So do I stay in this? Am I strong enough to be there for the long haul? Will he wake up one day and realize I am the best there ever could be? Or will he wake up and just move on to the next? What if this happens:

Summer: I woke up one morning and I just knew.
Tom: Knew what?
Summer: What I was never sure of with you. 

In that case, I will be like this:


Yikes! I am already 19 23, I should know better, right? But then again sometimes I think being in this kind of relationship is nice as well as we don't need the labels to validate what we have. Yep, just like what Summer said. Ugh. I have all these questions in my head, and sometimes I just want my pink, glittering heart to go on AWOL. If only I can send my heart on a forced vacation as well, yes? If you would be so kind as to leave a comment, please don't be too harsh as he might read them x_x Or maybe you can email me at kristelann.cruz@gmail.com instead? LOL.

Whew. This is actually the first time I wrote everything down in a blog post that is open to all readers (a majority of which I haven't met personally)... And it felt good. :) Sorry for this long post.. If you have made it this far, I salute you, and I am blowing pink kisses your way!


Love is a beautiful thing. I agree. Heck, love might be the most beautiful thing in the world of beautiful things! Love may make you cry buckets and tear you apart in the worst way possible but it is worth it, it is always worth it. Love is beautiful indeed, but for now, what I found beautiful is the way the writers and director were able to capture all of these emotions in one very fine film whose DVD once released will surely make its way on the collections of every person (who still believes in love because it's not like it's Santa Claus) in the whole world. At least I will make sure I get a copy.

Images from Google Search.

*This is my 11th of 30 posts for the 30-Day Blog Challenge.

16 comments

  1. OH MY GOSH! this is actually favorite line from the movie!

    Summer: I woke up one morning and I just knew.
    Tom: Knew what?
    Summer: What I was never sure of with you.

    hehhee.... cuz when she said i was partly heart broken and moved at the same time.

    but watch it! it's not much of a happy ending though :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh ... great post krissy! hahaha ... me and this thing about love. i was gonna write something about it but lost my train of thought. maybe next time. and since everyone is making such a big deal about that movie, i might as well go ahead and watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so brave to post this for everyone to see! I guess that's a step he should really appreciate.

    Anyway, as much as I would like to give you advice, I couldn't because I'm not that experienced. You could say I'm like Summer in that way.

    You're still young anyway, my suggestion is not to take it seriously and just have fun and make the most out of your single life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krissy

    i actually read scrolled quickly to the comments section after reading the first few paragraphs.

    i still haven't seen the flick, and hopefully i get to do so before I waste my moolah on 2012. :D

    ill come back for this post...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to go see this movie haha!

    and I do think love is beautiful, but you don't have to go look for it. There's nothing wrong at being single and on your own. In fact, I like it, thank you very much. But ever since I've met Boyfriend, I can't imagine life without him, and yes, it's difficult at times, but you can fight it, fight for the love you deserve...

    In the meantime, just be happy, play and don't take life so seriously, enjoy and smile!

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the movie too, and it was different from your usual, boy meets girl movies, and yes it did make you think like movies like that,

    krissy, if ever that will happen you will just know that somewhere there is the prince you have been waiting for, and you dont have to wonder if ever he will not tell you the words you want to hear, sometimes guys act like that if they are still making sure if the girl is right for them, and they also will know if she is not.

    hang in there. im pretty sure he will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why, I was feeling weirdly angry as I watched the movie. Must be my psyche :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Abby: Yup, it's not a happy ending, but it still hopeful :)

    @ Kaye: Thank you :) You should definitely watch it! Sigh. I still get goosebumps thinking about it :)

    @ Nina: Thank you :) Yes, now that I've thought about it, maybe it is indeed best for me to just go with the flow and enjoy what we have for what it is :)

    @ Herroyalbleakness: Thank you :) Oh I'll watch 2012 this Sunday! I am not expecting too much out of the story though, I'm interested to watch it for the bad ass effects :D

    @ Toothfairy: Thank you :) You should watch this! And I think you and your boyfriend are really cute :)

    @ Annie Marie: Thank you :) Yes, it is completely different from all those cookie cutter rom-coms that infiltrated the movie industry. Thank you for your sweet thoughts, don't worry I will :)

    @ Nashe: Well maybe the movie just affected you in a different way than it did me, it's okay though since we all have different opinions based on our own experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Krissy!
    oh. this movie doesn't have a happy ending??? Umm...then it's probably not for me. LOL

    also, I wanted to let you know I have given you an award. Do check it out on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Duni! It is not your typical happy-ending, but I think it is still very, very nice and apt. Plus, it is hopeful :)

    Thank you so much for the award! You are so sweet :) I will collect it once I've decided who to give it to :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello po! I've read your blog about 500 days of summer. it was very interesting. is it okay if i ask for the script? my e.add is mahbaby_dawgs@yahoo.com

    salamat po!
    ~Alphae

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Alphae: Thank you for your comment :) I sent you a copy of the script already, enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW
    you know sis, after watching the film, my friend and i were arguing if we're Summer or Tom, I'll say Im a tom too..ang sad naman.. but as you said, we're already-ish and we should know better..pero yun nga, ohwellforlove. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tragedies of love! Loved the movie. Thanks for the insight, Krissy. I really learned a lot from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Anagon: And all I can do is sigh.. :D

    @ Pilosopong Hustino: Aww thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i decided to watch the movie again after reading your blog...:D

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten up my day! Thank you for leaving kind words!